Refresh, Reset, Unspool

Hey, I’m glad you stopped by. How’s your new year going?Ghostwriter, memoir writer, writing mentor, get published, Columbus writer,

We’re having crazy weather in Central Ohio. Because of this, it makes me think spring.  It has been a long-held belief of mine that if you do the same things; you get the same results. If you want to grow, you need to do something out of the ordinary, shake up the routine.    Break out of the cycle, listen to different music, read different authors, tear down walls and flatten the box. If you want to think different thoughts, boldly step outside the lines that define your normal day.

Occasionally, when it’s warm like this, my mind begins to travel. Not too far from my place is a marina.  It’s not a major marina, dozens of pontoon boats, nothing fancy or particularly seaworthy. I like knowing they’re out there, bobbing on the water, whispering certain freedoms that only water promises. Every so often, they call to me.

I stare at the boats, listen to the shrilling of gulls, pretending that it’s not a reservoir, but really a bay. And on the other side of those trees lies an ocean. From there, you could go anywhere. Up and down the coast, to foreign beaches, to tropical islands, sunnier climates.

Although I don’t do this often, my favorite time is before the sun has climbed out of the dark or after it has tucked itself into the western horizon. It’s then that heavenly diamonds twinkle from an indigo sky, the water mirroring glowing lights. It’s nearly magical. In those moments, the day has paused to a somber hush, and a breeze might tousle your hair or nip at your neck. It’s a different kind of solitude being wrapped in the raw of night.

birds-body-of-water-branches-1720113Over the water, the air seems fresher and cleaner and a wide open sky speaks of bigger mysteries. That vast heavenly space feeds some lonely, longing place in my soul that nothing else can.  It doesn’t take much time for my brain to reset. Fifteen minutes can feel like a weekend getaway or like I’ve left the planet for days and returned with no one the wiser. I take my time,  breathing in the sky and the presence of The Creator; pressing into His handiwork.

What about you? Have you got a go-to happy place? What’s it like there? How often do you go? What’s your favorite time of day or year to visit?

6 Comments Add yours

1. Child Of God says:

Reblogged this on From The Darkness Into The Light and commented:
    Great Ghost Writer! Check her out especially if you are writing a book as I am, Very Slowly,

Liked by 1 person

2. Sue H-m says:

I know what you mean about the beach–we’re only an hour away but taking the time to actually go has to be planned. In the meantime, we enjoy what we have!

Liked by 1 person

3. Child Of God says:

Dear Juli, Bellissimo post and your site are amazing!

Liked by 1 person

1. JEOcean says:

Thanks so much, Pat! I appreciate hearing from you.

Liked by 1 person

4. Sue H-m says:

Your description takes me right there to the water, the smell, the feel, the peace. *sigh*
    This is why I spend all my lunches (weather permitting) and breaks at the pond in the middle of the business campus where I work. Just being by water calms me, and watching the animals it attracts is my happy place. Giving them names, making up stories and trying to entertain my Facebook friends with pictures gives my brain space from working in a busy call center. I find it surprising (but happily so) that I’m the only one in my office to do this. I need that time alone with my thoughts and nature.
    It must run in the family. 😎 Love you Cuz! 💗

Liked by 2 people

1. JEOcean says:

I have to think it does. The water’s the thing. I miss it and sometimes even if it’s freezing @$$ cold, I will still run up to the reservoir and stare at it even if it’s frozen. I can imagine all the places we paddled to on the kayak. But, I’d really rather head to the beach… Thanks for stopping by Cuz. Always great hearing from you! Love you right back!

Liked by 1 person

Let's start a conversation.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s